What an evening of Art has taught me.


So tuesday I regularly find myself with about 2+ hours by myself.  The kids (3) and husband are out at our churches Awana program.  I usually spend that time doing stuff on a list of some kind.  For school, my husband, the house, etc.  Tonight I need a break from all the DOING.  I was feeling like a slave and  I didn't have an identity any more.

I remember all those hours I spent when I was a teen/young person with out kids, at my drafting table sketching and drawing.  I wondering if I could still do it.  Make something pretty.  So I got out my sketch pad (actually it's my kids since I technically don't have one anymore) and sat down.   I sat for a long period after I sketched the outline.  It looked good but would I be able to add color and still have it look good.  I went for and I got lost in transforming a blank white page into something.... something beautiful to look at.    What I discover is a truth I feel I know, but seem to forget all to quickly.  The truth is it will never all be DONE.... the DOING that is. The lists, there will always be something I should/need or could be doing.  Like the pile of laundry to put away. But I NEED to put that all on hold, or pause the frantic music and make time for some soft sweet sounds of just being.   Whether that is just by myself and doing something like drawing, or sitting on the grass with the kids looking at the clouds and marveling at God's wonderful creation.  I need to make time for more pauses.  That's what I learned for an evening with art.  Pausing to do something that isn't on the list, will not help anything on the list.  Pausing to do something like playing again.......  I'm renewed and I hope you are too.

Comments

  1. Oh, sweet Kayla! I remember these days...and still have them sometimes. You are wise, to pause and enjoy. Our pastor has a book called "Five Smooth Stones" and one of the stones is solitude. You are so talented. There's a time for everything, and I'm sure that you will get back to more time for art as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you beautiful, sweet and encouraging Auntie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts